Ok, so if you take a profile and merely scale it up until it is as wide and tall as it needs to be(X and Y scaling) you end up with the wrong shape which is what I did before.
The correct profile shape is the small RED profile in the middle of the graphic.
If you offset this path .875″ so it has the correct overall width you get the large RED outline.
If you take the correct profile shape(small RED) and merely scale it up as a whole you end up with the large BLUE outline.
Then if you simulate the carving process by offsetting the path by -0.875 you end up with the small BLUE outline.
The small blue profile is not what I want but is very close to what I ended up with on my test neck because of the way I merely scaled the graphic from Warmoth’s website.
I think that using the path offset should create the correct size puck for the neck jig but i guess I’ll have to try it out to know for sure.
Still working on the neck shaping jig.
I cut out new pucks with the V shape, sanded them, drilled mounting holes(slotted slightly to allow some adjustment), roughed out another test neck and tried the jig out and it’s getting closer.
Not quite there yet as I still have some work to do in regards to the thickness around the first or second fret so it doesn’t cut so deep compared to the back of the headstock.
I tried out some Mod Podge yesterday.
Since I’m planning on attaching the cloth from the couch to the top of the Tele I thought I’d give the mod podge a try since it is the traditional method for decoupage.
I took some heavy cloth that we had sitting around and decoupaged it onto a small board.
The podge darkens up the look of the cloth so I’ll have to do some experimenting with the actual cloth from the couch but at this point it looks like it would work well.
Heather made Joan this beautiful dress.
She even did all the smocking by hand.
Joan looks like a little princess, which she is.
I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of V neck shape.
The funny thing being that I’ve never seen one in real life so I’ve never played one and I don’t really have any idea what it’s supposed to be like.
I took a picture off of warmoth’s website of the “clapton” V neck profile and overlayed it onto the neck profile pucks that come with Bill’s plans for the neck jig and scaled them until the width was the same and the height was just slightly thinner.
I’ll run some pieces of 2×4 through the jig this weekend and we’ll see what shape they end up.
I built a rough Bill Scheltema neck jig this weekend.
I was also able to set the radial arm saw up to work as a thickness sander.
Just a thought for how I might be able to add some binding to the Tele without having to buy some fancy router bits.
The pattern bit arrived yesterday.
Now I guess I can get to work on the body.