I took the glue up from my last post and cut it on the table saw to a more workable thickness.
I know it looks like I used the workmate and a handsaw but I really did do it with the old craftsman tablesaw.
Then I ran it under the sanding disc in the RAS to smooth it up.
The disc I have isn’t very even in its pressure and I didn’t keep it moving fast enough so there were some burn marks.
I mounted the neck template and traced the outline.
I didn’t get any shots of hacking it out with my jigsaw.
Next I threw a small drum sander in the RAS and sanded close to the line so the router wouldn’t have to take off very much.
Note to self, Buy a robosander.
Since the main part of the neck is two pieces turned 90 degrees to make it quarter sawn the grain at the heel is pretty neat looking but I haven’t gotten a picture of that just yet.
The couch yielded a piece of maple that I’m going to try to use for the neck, it will have to be glued up to get to the correct dimensions but it should be ok.
I glued up the pieces of pine and cut out the body, sanded it down near the line, then routed it flush on the table.
Worked a little on the pick guard today.
Same old templating stuff really.
I also started taking apart the couch and discovered a nice long piece of maple not quite wide enough for a one piece neck but I might be able to cut and glue to get the width I would need.
Still working on the neck shaping jig.
I cut out new pucks with the V shape, sanded them, drilled mounting holes(slotted slightly to allow some adjustment), roughed out another test neck and tried the jig out and it’s getting closer.
Not quite there yet as I still have some work to do in regards to the thickness around the first or second fret so it doesn’t cut so deep compared to the back of the headstock.